Placing Titles with the New Zealand Film Heritage Trust
Te Hoatu Kiriata ki Te Puna Ataata
The process for placing a film in the Trust commonly goes as follows:
- A filmmaker/s is approached or approaches the Trust.
- Agreement in principle from filmmaker, including choice of Assignment or Management agreement.
- More research on rights is undertaken if necessary, including information held by filmmaker/s.
- Any follow-up with third-party rights holders to bring the rights in e.g. engagement with financiers, co-producers etc.
- The agreement is drafted from the template & research undertaken, and sent to the filmmaker/s.
- A filmmaker may seek legal advice.
- Further negotiations if required.
- Agreement is signed by all parties.
- The Trust makes any necessary arrangements, informing Ngā Taonga, NZFC, and any other parties of the new agreement.
Both types of agreement template are available here for you to download.